Insurance Exclusions – What You Need to Know

//Insurance Exclusions – What You Need to Know

Did you know your homeowners insurance may not cover everything you think it does? Or that some things may make it difficult for you to even get insurance? Before you get stuck with a denied claim, or worse yet, are not able to get coverage at all, check out the list below of common exclusions that require additional coverage.

Needs Additional Insurance Coverage

  • Off-property use of ATVs, snowmobiles, go-carts, lawn mowers or even a low-powered Barbie ride-on car (there is no liability coverage for any motorized vehicle off your property).
  • Drones.
  • Home business, especially if it is a day care.
  • Swimming pool with a slide or diving board.
  • Hobby farm with rental of agricultural land; raising pigs, goats, llamas, horses, pigs or cows; or has a market stand.
  • Use of personal items, such as cameras, computers or musical instruments, for a small business.
  • Storage of vehicles on your property, such as antique cars or other vehicles, boats, ATVs or motorcycles. These must be covered under your auto or recreational vehicle policy or you will not have property coverage.

Difficult to Get Insurance Coverage

  • Houses with knob and tube wiring or fuse boxes.
  • Own certain dog breeds, such as German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Pit Bull (Staffordshire Terriers), Belgian Malinois, Chows, Mastiffs, Doberman Pinchers, Akitas, Presa Canarios, Wolf Hybrids or any breed with known vicious tendencies or a record of previous bites.
  • Swimming pool that doesn’t have a fence.
  • Several insurance claims; doesn’t matter if they are small, $50 claims or large ones.

If you have any questions about whether or not you need additional insurance coverage, contact your Meyer Insurance agent.

By | 2015-09-23T14:51:31+00:00 September 23rd, 2015|Categories: Uncategorized|Comments Off on Insurance Exclusions – What You Need to Know