With the whipsaw Wisconsin winter weather (warmups, snow storms, rain, and sub-zero temperatures), it is always a good idea to check that your sump pump is running, pipes are not freezing, and the basement is dry. Pipes can freeze during quick drops in temperatures, incidences of poor insulation, or your home thermostat is set too low.
- Small leaks (even hidden leaks) can cause major water damage.
- Water damage can cause breathing problems with mold and mildew growth.
- You can test your sump pump by pouring some water down it. You should hear the motor working if it’s in working order.
If you discover a water leak, don’t panic! Follow these simple steps for a quick recovery.
- Extract any items away from the leak.
- Dry the area.
- Cleanup any visible mold and mildew growth.
- Repair the pipe, non-working sump pump or leak.
Meyer Insurance can help! Contact us for a review of coverage and a quote for flood insurance. Broken pipes are automatically covered unless the home is vacant/unoccupied, but we can add sewer and water back up to an existing homeowner’s policy. Call us for more information at 608-643-3000. We’re here for you.